Law Offices of Grant J. Gisondo, P.A. Logo

(561) 530-4568

Call For Free Consultation

9:00-5:00 M-F

Saturday Appointments Available

Palm Beach Gardens (Main Location)
500 Village square crossing #103
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Phone: 561-530-4568

West Palm Beach
777 South Flagler Drive, Suite 800 - West Tower, West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
Phone: 561-530-4486

Delray Beach
1615 South Congress Avenue, Suite 103,
Delray Beach, Florida 33445
Phone: 561-530-4669

1 SE Ocean Blvd., Stuart, FL 34994
Phone: 772-742-4709

9:00-5:00 M-F

Saturday Appointments Available

(561) 530-4568

Call For Free Consultation

500 Village square crossing, #103 Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Grant J. Gisondo, P.A. – Family Law Attorney

Family law in Florida Tag

Grant J. Gisondo, P.A. > Posts tagged "Family law in Florida"

Should We Tell the Kids We Are Getting Divorced?

The question, should we tell the kids we are getting a divorce? has an answer in the affirmative, but that answer will have a lot of considerations attached to it. Let’s look at the how, when, what, and even where you can tell your kids you are getting a divorce. The first consideration is the age of the children in question. Usually, the younger the child, the less information will be needed, although explaining what a divorce is may be necessary. School-age children will likely have friends whose parents are divorced, so they will be familiar with such issues as timesharing...

Is a Yearly Bonus Considered in Child Support or Alimony

A bonus is an amount of money paid to an employee over and above their regular paycheck. In most instances, a bonus occurs once a year, often at the end of the year though there are times when a bonus is paid more often. Sometimes the bonus is paid simply because the employee has completed a given amount of time with their organization, and a bonus is given to all workers, the amount depending on how long they have been employed. Other times a bonus is given as an incentive for work done or a goal reached. This second type...

Holiday Timesharing Trumps Regular Timesharing Schedule

If you have gone through a divorce or separation involving minor children, you and the court will have established a parenting plan and a timesharing arrangement. The information included will be a part of your divorce decree ordered by a judge, and it must be followed, even during the holiday season. As the holiday season fast approaches, it is wise to read over your parenting plan and parental timesharing order details. Neither party can change any part of these agreements outside of returning to court for an official ruling by a judge to make a change. And then there must...

Tips For Dealing with the Stress of a Divorce

It is highly unlikely anyone would find going through a divorce to be relatively stress-free. In fact, going through a divorce is usually extremely stressful, often resulting in sleepless nights, weight loss, emotional outbursts, feeling of abandonment, and a sense of loss, particularly loss of self-esteem. While there is no magic pill or potion one can take to eliminate stress, there are a number of ways to combat the stress and often take stress down to a reasonable level. Here are ten suggestions that may help you: Try to work your marital issues out in mediation and create a marital...

How Long Does a Divorce Take Is A Question?

How long does a divorce take is a question that essentially has no specific answer other than it takes as long as it takes to complete the entire legal process of dissolution of marriage (divorce)? There a many factors that will influence the actual time it takes to get a divorce. As each state has its own set of rules and guidelines surrounding divorce, this blog will focus on the state of Florida. Here are the major time-sensitive factors which will influence the length of time until a judge signs the final order granting a divorce. Will the divorce be...

Parental Timesharing, Parenting Plans, and School Boundary Issues

In Florida, when there are minor children and Family Court must be involved in their wellbeing, there are firm guidelines regarding how the child’s care and nurturing should occur. These guidelines apply to all couples who have created or adopted a child together, whether they were ever married or even lived together. In Florida, all parents are legally responsible for their children from birth to age l8 and longer if the child cannot, for mental or physical reasons, support themselves. “In the best interest of the child” is the motto of Florida Family Court, and parents do not have to...

Be Careful What You Text the Other Party

Texting, that is, sending messages to another person’s phone, has become a way of communication for many people. It is much like writing a letter, except the information is immediately sent and received. In most circumstances,a person simply enjoys the message and responds if appropriate. However, there are times when a person must be very careful about what they send as a text message. And one of these times is when a party is going through a dissolution of marriage (divorce).Each state has its rules regarding text messagesthat can or cannot be used as evidence during a divorce case. This...

What Truly is an Emergency in Family Law?

The motto of the Florida Family Court when it comes to minor children is “in the best interest of the child.” A minor child is a child from birth to age l8 or beyond if the child cannot support themselves for physical or mental reasons. Every attempt is made when the court must decide how a minor child will be cared for and nurtured to create as healthy an environment as possible for the child’s continued development. Whether the parents were ever married or lived together, the court feels minor children need both parents as they grow toward adulthood. Parental...

Support Without Dissolution Under Florida Statute 61.09

Dissolution of marriage, i.e., divorce, is usually the vehicle that a spouse uses to receive child support and or alimony. However, there are instances when financial support is needed and rightfully deserved, but the needful party does not want a divorce. In such an instance, each state has its statutes defining how family law will be carried out. In Florida, there is a statute, number 61.09, which states, “If a person having the ability to contribute to the maintenance of his or her spouse and support of his or her minor child fails to do so, the spouse who is...

Is Your Case Ripe for a Modification? Here are the Standards You Must Satisfy

As with many situations in life, circumstances change as time goes on. This is true of court-ordered spousal support (alimony), child support, and time-sharing. When either party finds him or herself in a position where they think there is a need for modification, Florida Family Courts have very definite standards in place. Obtaining a modification is not easy, but it can be done. The following guidelines will help you decide if your situation will qualify for a hoped-for modification. However, it is always best to seek the advice and help of an experienced Family Law Attorney when seeking a modification...

Grant J. Gisondo, P.A.